Share this recipe!
Sponge Cake Base
- 2 cups strawberries remove stem and chop in half - 600 grams
- 3 tbsp chia seeds 20 grams
- ½ cup agave syrup 140 grams
- 2 tbsp agar agar
- 2 cups vegan whipped cream 300 ml
- 1 cup strawberries 150 grams
For the vanilla cake
- Preheat the oven to 360˚F (180˚C). Then line a7 inch (18 cm) round cake tins with a round piece of parchment paper.
- Sift the flour into a bowl.
- Add sugar, baking soda and salt and whisk together.
- Add soy milk, vegetable oil, vanilla extract, and apple cider vinegar and fold in gently till the ingredients come together. Don't over mix.
- Pour the cake batter into the cake tin and bake for around 60 min at 360˚F (180˚C). To check if cooked, Insert a toothpick into the cake. If it comes out dry the cake is ready. If wet, bake for longer. Let the cake cool completely before cutting it or layering it.
- Start making the strawberry jam while the cake cooks.
For the strawberry jam
- Remove the stem from the strawberries, cut them in half and place them in a blender.
- Add the chia seeds and the agave syrup.
- Blend for a few seconds.
- Pour the mix into a sauce pan, bring to simmer and cook on low heat for about 15 minutes.
- Let cool down, it will thicken up. If you want the jam thicker we suggest adding 2 tsp of agar agar. Boil the agar agar in the jam for 1 minute while stirring. Let cool down to thicken.
For the whipped cream
- You can either whip up some ready made vegan whipping cream, or whip together a can of very cold full fat coconut cream with 1/4 cup of icing sugar.
Build the cake
- When the cake is cool, cut it in half with a serrated knife add the strawberry jam on top of one of the layers.
- Top with the other layer, and cover it completely with the vegan whipped cream. Use a knife or a spatula to spread the whipped cream evenly around the cake.
- Decorate the top of the cake as you like. We use some whole strawberries on top.