Sausage & Butternut Squash Soup 🥣 (V🌱)
Yayyy!! It’s almost officially fall in the IG northern foodie-sphere. I’m celebrating by roasting squash & transforming it into the most delicious soup🧡🧡🧡
Have you ever roasted a whole butternut squash? Or how about a head of garlic? Check recipe below for ALL the delicious details…
- 1 med butternut squash approx 3lbs
- 1 small head garlic
- 2 tbl butter
- 1 lb vegan sausage links roughly crumbled using hands or back of fork, casings removed
- 1 small onion sliced into half moons, approx 1 1/2 cups
- small red potatoes sliced, approx 1 cup
- 1 large carrot cut into matchsticks, approx 1 cup
- 2 cups no ch’kn broth sub veggie broth
- 1 tsp celery seeds
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup non-dairy cream cheese room temp
- 1/2- 1 cup non dairy milk
- To Roast Butternut Squash: slice in half using a sharp knife, scoop out seeds & stringy fibers, cut off the head of garlic, brush squash with olive oil & inside cavity. Place garlic head cut side down inside one of the cavities. Season with s/p. Place on baking tray & roast in preheated oven at 400 F till caramelized & fork can easily pierce through depth (approx 60-80 min). Let cool. Skin should peel off easily.
- In a blender, combine squash & squeeze garlic from its skin into mixer. Add 1/2 cup of broth. Blend till smooth.
- For Sausage: in a large pot or dutch oven: heat 1 tbl butter on med heat. Add sausage to pan, cook till browned (approx 10 min). Set aside.
- In the same pot over med heat, add the remaining butter, when warmed add onion, carrots, & potatoes, season s/p. Cook 8-10 min till onion is soft & golden. Scraping up any brown bits from sausage for added flavor. Add 1 tbl water if it pot gets to dry.
- Next, add puréed squash, seasonings, & remaining 2 1/2 cups broth, making sure veggies are covered with liquid. Bring to a boil, then simmer on med/low heat covered 20-30 min till carrots are tender & flavors meld. Mix occasionally.
- Turn off heat, add cream cheese, mix till combined. Add milk to achieve desired consistency.
- Serve Soup with sausage crumbles on top. Enjoy!!!