Are you a fan of jackfruit?! If so, you must try this GENERAL TSO’S JACKFRUIT.
Satisfying, Saucy, and oh so flavorful. Pair it with rice and broccoli for a complete meal. This recipe only requires minimal ingredients and only takes 30 minutes to make!
- 1 Tbsp neutral oil I used olive oil
- 1 can 20 ounce can of green jackfruit in brine
General Tso’s Sauce
- 3 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce or tamari gluten-free
- 2 Tbsp hoisin sauce gluten-free
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper optional, add more for a spicy sauce, substitute with sriracha
- 2 Tbsp green onion chopped
- ½ tsp sesame seeds
- Drain, rise, and pat jackfruit dry. Using your hands or a fork, shred the jackfruit chunks into bite sized pieces. It should resemble a “pulled pork” texture.
- Heat a pan over medium heat. Add the oil, jackfruit, and cook for 3-4 minutes until warm.
- In a medium bowl combine all of the General Tso’s sauce ingredients together and whisk.
- Add the sauce to the pan and mix until the jackfruit is covered in sauce. Gently simmer on medium-low heat for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sauce starts to thicken. Take the pan immediately off the heat. If left on the heat the sauce will burn.
- Taste the jackfruit and add additional soy sauce or crushed red pepper. Divide into bowls and garnish with sesame seeds and green onions!
- Leftover jackfruit can be kept in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 2 days.
- Garnish your jackfruit with chopped green onion or crushed red pepper.
- I paired my jackfruit with rice and steamed broccoli. However, you can get creative and use whatever grains or vegetable you have in your pantry or refrigerator.
- Want your sauce to be thicker? Add an extra half teaspoon of cornstarch to the sauce.
SHARE THIS RECIPE!
SUBSCRIBE TO THE NEWSLETTER!
Receive the latest vegan recipes straight into your inbox! You can sign out at any time.