Chinese Burger “Rou Jia Mo”
It means “meat in a bun” while normally made with meat but in this recipe, I used tofu with spices. I made the bun from scratch. This is a popular street food.
The origin of this dish is from Shaanxi province (Xi’an). And widely consume all over China. So I decided to make it myself.
Full recipe below.
Share this recipe!
- Roughly mash the tofu. Heat oil in the wok then cook the tofu till the water is evaporated and set aside.
- Add in 300ml water with all the spices into a pot and bring it to a boil. Then add the cooked tofu. Cook another few more minutes, remove from the heat and set aside.
- Mix yeast with warm water.
- Add the flour, baking soda and oil, then add the yeast mixture into the flour. Knead till it form a smooth dough. Cover the dough and rest the dough for 30 minutes.
- After proofing, knead the dough for 5 minutes to get rid of any bubbles. Cut the dough into 4 pieces and cover it to prevent them from drying out.
- To shape the bun, roll the dough into long oval shape. Fold the dough into half then roll the it into a cylinder. Stand the rolled dough, press it down then flatten it with a rolling pin(about 4 inches in diameter).
- Cook the dough into frying pan over low heat. Cook for 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Slice open from one side(do not cut through) fill the bread with cooked tofu and serve immediately.