Have you tried these BUTTERNUT SQUASH STUFFED SHELLS yet? Layered with a creamy butternut squash sauce and topped with stuffed vegan ricotta shells, mozzarella cheese, crushed red pepper, and fried sage leaves. Make these stuffed stuffed shells GF with using gluten-free pasta shells.
Butternut Squash Sauce
- 1 cup dairy-free mozzarella cheese
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 12 fried sage leaves
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (204 C).
- Place the cubed squash on a baking pan evenly. Drizzle the squash with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 25-30 or until the squash is fork tender.
- Transfer the squash to a high powered blender and add the milk, thyme, oregano, and crushed red pepper. Blend until the sauce is smooth and creamy. Taste sauce and add additional seasoning if needed.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Cook according to the back of the package. Drain water, and set aside.
- In a large bowl crumble the tofu with a spoon or your hands breaking into small pieces. Add the milk, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, spinach, dried thyme, dried oregano, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and mix.
- Coat the 9 x 13 inch baking dish with the butternut squash sauce.
- Assemble pasta shells by filling each shell with the tofu ricotta mixture, around 1-2 tablespoons. Place the stuffed shells facing up in the baking dish.
- Sprinkle shells with vegan mozzarella cheese and bake for 10-15 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Top with crushed red pepper and fried sage.
- Don’t have fresh spinach? Just skip adding spinach altogether. Using frozen spinach will add too much water to the vegan ricotta mixture.
- Are you gluten-free? Use gluten-free pasta shells.
- Not a fan of fried sage? Add any type of toppings that you like!