Need something warm and comforting? Make this vegan broccoli cheddar soup asap!
- 1/2 onion chopped, about 5 ounces/150g
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic roughly chopped
- 1 tsp olive oil [5ml]
- 3 tbsp vegan butter [42g]
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour [24g]
- 2 1/2 cups non-dairy milk unsweetened and unflavored, [600ml]
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth [480ml]
- 1 large head broccoli cut into pieces, about 11 ounces/320g
- 1 cup shredded carrots about 4 ounces/110g
- 1/4 tsp salt or to taste [1.5g]
- 1/2 tsp black pepper or to taste, [2g]
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast [10g]
- 1 cup vegan cheddar shreds [112g]
- 1/2 cup water optional if soup becomes too thick, [60ml]
- In a large pot add the olive oil, garlic, and onion. Cook for 5-7 minutes over low heat until translucent, stir occasionally.
- Once onions and garlic are fragrant add in the vegan butter and flour. Mix continuously to form a roux. The butter will absorb the flour and it will resemble a dough.
- When the roux has been formed and it is thick slowly add in the non-dairy milk, about a 1/4 cup (60ml) at a time. Whisking continuously to avoid any clumping. Continue slowly adding non-dairy milk and whisking until all liquid has been added and you are left with a thick but smooth base for the broth.
- Then add in the veggie broth, salt, pepper, broccoli, nutritional yeast and carrots.
- Cook on medium low heat for 15 minutes to cook the broccoli and carrots. Keep over a low simmer, stir occasionally. Do not let it boil just simmer and bubble a bit.
- Add the vegan cheese and continue to cook for 5 more minutes until vegan cheese is melted.
- Taste the soup and add more salt, black pepper or other seasonings to your preference. The soup will most likely need more salt but I prefer to add it into preference than have it to be too salty. If the soup has become very thick and you like you can add in the water.
- Enjoy warm and pair with bread, croutons, or a salad.