Sticky cashew tofu. Kinda like cashew chicken, except not! 👅 Last meal to see out veganuary, and also my last night in this shared kitchen before I embark on my big girl life tomorrow eeek!!!
Halfway through packing up my life I found many half bags of cashews that I had bought, so I thought why not make that Chinese takeaway dish – cashew chicken.
Except then I also realised that I’ve never had this dish before so I’ve no idea what it’s meant to taste like lol. In the end, my improvisation wasn’t too bad, and the texture of the cornflour coating drenched in this sticky sauce actually made the texture resemble the chicken… at least for me (or perhaps I’ve forgotten what chicken is like… 😅)
Anyway, here’s the simple recipe you may like.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC and prepare a baking tray sprayed with oil
- Mix the cornflour and some salt together, and coat the tofu generously. Bake this for 25-30 mins. Alternatively, you can also pan fry this until golden, but I was lazy today.
- While the tofu is being baked, you may also want to roast some cashew nuts. This is optional.
- Prepare the sauce for later, by combining the soy, hoisin, sugar, vinegar and water together.
- Once the tofu is lightly browned, heat up a pan and saute the garlic, ginger for about a minute, before adding in the tofu. Cook for another 2-3 mins.
- Add in the cashew nuts and also the sauce. Stir to mix thoroughly and allow the water to reduce and sauce to thicken. It should turn glossy and sticky. Season to taste and add in the spring onions last.
- Serve with some steamed rice and greens. Enjoy!