Smoky Red Pepper and Aubergine Soup with Buttery Mushrooms and Sourdough Croutons!🌱
With a kiss of heat and gorgeous smoky flavour, this creamy, velvety smooth soup is made with less than 10 ingredients. It’s protein rich and topped with buttery mushrooms, sourdough croutons and vegan parm.
- 1 tbsp evoo
- 1 onion diced
- 1 aubergine
- 2 red peppers
- 450 g medium firm tofu
- 150 ml plant-based milk
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes
- red chili flakes
- 1 tbsp parsley chopped
- 2-3 tbsp vegan parmesan
- 250 g cremini mushrooms
- 2 tbsp salted vegan butter @love.legrand
- 2 slices sourdough torn into bite sized chunks
- salt + pepper to taste
- Cook aubergine and peppers over the open flame of your gas range (8 minutes a side for the aubergine and a little less for the peppers), until soft on the inside and charred on the outside.
- Optional: roast aubergine and peppers whole (on a lined baking tray—middle rack) at 475 for 45 minutes or so. Flip once while cooking. Veggies should be blackened, blistered and soft.
- Place aubergine and red pepper in a colander over a bowl and cover with aluminum foil for 10 or so minutes.
- In the meantime, cook onion in evoo (in a frying pan over medium high heat) until soft with a bit of colour.
- Add all ingredients to a high speed blender and blend until silky smooth and heated through (if your blender will do it).
- If not, blend until smooth and transfer to pot to heat through.
- In a frying pan over medium, heat 1/2 vegan butter. Cook mushrooms until golden on both sides—be sure to season well.
- Push the mushrooms to one side of the pan, heat the remaining vegan butter and fry sourdough until crisp. Give the croutons a little pinch of salt.
- Add mushrooms, sourdough, parsley, red chili flakes and parmesan to finish off soup. Enjoy hot.