Roasted Thai Spiced Pumpkin & Leek Soup 🎃🎃🎃
My tween was like “Ew pumpkin is gross” and I ignored, turned up some tunes, and started cooking so i didn’t have to listen to the naysayer in the room 😂…later comes dinner time and the kid is slurping with delight 🏆🙌🏼🏅
- 1 med sugar pumpkin approx 2-3 lbs
- 1 small head garlic
- 2 T neutral oil
- 1 lee cleaned & finely chopped
- 2 T red curry paste
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 2 tsp minced ginger
- 3 cups veggie broth
- 1 cup canned coconut milk
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbl maple syrup
- kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper
- To Roast Sugar Pumpkin: slice in half using a sharp knife, scoop out seeds & stringy fibers, cut off the head of garlic, brush pumpkin with olive oil & inside cavity. Place garlic head cut side down inside one of the cavities. Season with s/p. Place on baking tray cut side up & roast in preheated oven at 400 F till caramelized & fork can easily pierce through depth (approx 45-60min ). Let cool. Skin should peel off easily.
- Heat large pot/Dutch oven over med heat, drizzle oil when hot add leeks, cook till translucent 5-7 min
- Add red curry paste, ginger, and curry powder, mix to coat leeks, heat 1-2 min till paste becomes a dark red & fragrant. Add broth, mix well, scraping up any brown bits from the bottom of pot.
- Using a high speed blender, carefully transfer soup from pot to blender, also add peeled pumpkin, & squeeze out garlic cloves from skin. Purée till smooth 1-3 min. Be careful when blending hot liquids. I leave my lid partially open & put a kitchen towel on top of pitcher lid. Alternatively you can use an immersion blender, and blend directly in the pot
- Transfer back to pot & simmer approx 20 min for flavors to meld
- Add coconut milk, & heat through. Add lime juice, maple syrup, & season to taste
- I served my soup in a roasted pumpkin bowl, with toasted pepitas, more coconut cream, & toasted baguette with non-dairy ricotta, chives, & maple syrup. Enjoy!!
Did you try this recipe?Mention @goodoldvegan or tag #goodoldvegan!
2 thoughts on “Roasted Thai Spiced Pumpkin & Leek Soup”
This is an amazing soup. I omitted the maple syrup, sprinkling pomegranate seeds instead. This officially one of my fav recipients!!
What a great swap! I can totally imagine pomegranate seeds would add to this recipe. Thanks Katie!