Roasted Cauliflower & Lentil Curry Soup 🥣
Thank goodness in the dead of winter (here in NYC) you can create your own sunshine in a bowl. All the warming Indian & Thai spices in a hearty broth filled with potatoes, red lentils & roasted cauliflower.
When all this deliciousness comes together, sit back, slurp away, & enjoy.
- Neutral oil
- 1 lb cauliflower florets, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp cayenne optional or add more for heat
- sea salt
- 1 large yellow onion finely chopped
- 1 large carrot finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp ginger grated
- 2 tbl red curry paste
- 1 lb baby red potatoes halved
- 1 cup red lentils cleaned & rinsed
- 3 cups veggie broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tbl maple syrup
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- Place Cauliflower florets in a large mixing bowl, drizzle 2 tsp neutral oil, set aside
- In a small bowl mix together all spices up to & including cayenne pepper & salt
- Add 1 tbl of spice mix to florets, mix until coated. Place florets on parchment lined baking sheet & roast at 425 F for 20-25 min till or until edges are golden & caramelized (flipping halfway through cook time)
- While cauliflower is roasting, in a large Dutch oven over med heat coat bottom of pot with neutral oil. When oil is heated, add onions, celery, & carrots sauté 7-8 min till onion is golden.
- Add red curry paste, ginger, & garlic mix for about 2 min till heated & incorporated
- Add broth, water, lentils, & potatoes, & remaining spice mix. Bring to a boil & simmer with lid partially covered until potatoes & lentils are tender about 20-25 min. Option: Use immersion blender or carefully transfer 1/2 soup broth to a blender for a smoother consistency & then return to pot
- Add coconut milk,maple syrup, & lime juice. Adjust seasoning to taste. Cook 5 more min till warmed through
- For serving, ladle soup & top with roasted cauliflower & fresh herbs. Enjoy!