Although I’m still holding on to the last bits of summer with the weather we’ve been having, soup season is finally here! I’m sharing my Mediterranean white bean soup as part of the #veganfallsoups collab – check out the hashtag for more beautiful plant-based soup inspo! 🍲
This white bean soup gets a kick from harissa that’s balanced out by creamy tahini. Accented by leafy kale, this soup is the perfect vessel to dip a crusty baguette into.
- 3 cups white beans about 1 cup dry beans, soaked
- 4 cups kale leaves loosely packed (1 small bunch)
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1/3 bell pepper or 2 small sweet peppers, diced (I like orange or red)
- 3/4 cup carrot diced (about 1 carrot)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 4 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp harissa
- 1 tsp salt
- cracked black pepper to taste
- Sauté onion, carrots, and bell pepper in oil, until the onion becomes transparent and fragrant. Then add in garlic and sauté for 2 more mins. Add in cooked or soaked white beans along with vegetable broth (if you use soaked beans, add a couple more cups of liquid.)
- Meanwhile, whisk the tahini, 3 tbsp lemon juice, 1/2 cup water, and harissa in a small bowl, until smooth.
- Simmer the beans until they are tender. This took me about 45 mins using soaked dry beans. Take care to make sure the liquid stays a couple inches above the beans (add in some more vegetable broth or water as needed).
- For added creaminess (optional), remove 3 cups of soup and blend until smooth, then return the mixture to the pot.
- Add in kale leaves, thyme, and tahini-harissa mixture, and simmer until fragrant, 10-15 more mins.
- Before removing from heat, stir in parsley leaves, 1 tbsp of lemon, salt, and black pepper. Simmer for a couple mins and then remove the thyme sprig. If desired, top with a drizzle of olive oil with a small bit of harissa mixed in, as well as parsley or thyme leaves. Enjoy!
2 thoughts on “Mediterranean White Bean Soup with Harissa & Tahini”
Brilliant soup. Never had tahini in a soup but it made it very creamy and tasty. Don’t skip the harissa it’s essential to this soup. Well done. Would make again.
Happy to hear Erica! Appreciate your feedback.