This jumbo bakery style blueberry muffin is one of the tastiest I’ve had in awhile and it is here for you all to try! The key to this super moist and tender muffin is making your own buttermilk with oat milk and lemon juice. Paired with fresh blueberries and lots of lemon zest, these muffins are a real treat without the sweet taste.
- 3/4 cup + 2 Tbsp oat milk
- 2 1/4 tsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 cup plant-based butter softened
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. Bob’s Red Mill Egg Replacer + 4 Tbsp. water, prepared
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon zest
- 2 1/2 cups organic all-purpose flour extra for blueberries
- 1/2 tsp. Himalayan pink salt
- 2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 us dry pint blueberries washed, drained and picked over
- 3 tsp. organic cane sugar topping
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1 Tbsp. + 1/2 tsp. organic cane sugar
- 1 Tbsp. + 1 1/2 tsp. plant-based butter cut into tiny cubes
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. In a small bowl, mix together oat milk and lemon juice and let sit.
- In a small bowl, combine topping ingredients using a fork until small crumbles form. (Optional)
- Cream the softened butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
- Add prepared egg replacer, vanilla extract and lemon zest, beating until just mixed.
- Sift together the flour, salt and baking powder, and add to the creamed butter mixture alternately with the buttermilk we previously made. Dust blueberries lightly in 2 teaspoons of flour and fold in the blueberries to the batter. Avoid over mixing.
- Line 9 muffin tins with jumbo muffin liners or jumbo tulip liners, and fill batter to the top (about 7 1/2 tablespoons each muffin cup). Sprinkle tops of muffins with the 3 teaspoons sugar or use topping mixture in step 2.
- Bake for about 5 minutes.
- Keep oven closed and reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees F.
- Bake for 25 minutes until lightly golden brown on top. To test, insert a toothpick in the center and if it comes out clean, it’s done.
- Remove muffins from oven and let cool for at least 5 minutes before placing on wire rack to cool completely. Store, uncovered, or the muffins will be too moist the second day.