I assure you: this cheeezy, dilly-oniony Tuna Melt on perfectly grilled butter bread is 𝗔𝗟𝗟 𝗩𝗘𝗚𝗔𝗡.
As one of my favorite vegan sandwiches of all time, this JACKFRUIT melt makes my heart…melt. 😍
It requires lots of patience to make the perfect Tuna texture, so don’t expect to whip this up in 5 mins or less. I know there’s plenty of vegan recipes out there for jackfruit tuna, but this one needs some prep work, marinating, crisping, and cheezy melting time. Trust me, it’s worth it!
My number one go-to for the cheese is Daya food slices(particularly their cheddar and/or American). It’s melts the best & nobody wants a grilled cheese that doesn’t melt out the middle when sliced, duh.
Amazing tuna-texture, extra dill-filled, and delicious…the bread even makes that butter toast “crunnnch” sound when you bite into it (and explodes with cheezy tuna flavor right after).
- 1 can young jackfruit
- 3 slices vegan cheese
- 2 pieces white bread
- vegan butter
- 1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1/4 red onion
- scallions chopped
- 1 tbsp dill relish
- fresh dill sprigs
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Old Bay Seasoning or fish seasoning
- lemon juice
- garlic powder
- lemon pepper
- splash white vinegar
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast
- Drain jackfruit in a strainer, and rinse under cold water for one minute (takes the sweetness away).
- Separate jackfruit pods/seeds by hand and reserve for a later recipe. Cut out harder parts of jackfruit and reserve for later. (You want as much stringy, clumpy, soft texture as possible)
- Re-rinse the separated jackfruit again one more time.
- In a large bowl, add all wet ingredients except jackfruit. Whisk together. Add seasonings, fresh dill and onions, and stir together. Adjust taste to your preferred saltiness/acidity. Add jackfruit to mixture and fold it in.
- Let marinate in fridge covered for 1 hr.
- Butter white bread, add cheese on inside of both bread pieces, cover and slow grill the for approx 10 minutes until golden brown.
- Add tuna on one side bread, and flip into a sandwich, Gently smash together to secure it, grill a little more.
- Return to a plate, slice in half and enjoy!!
8 thoughts on “Jackfruit Tuno Melt”
What is the measurement on the nutritional yeast?
About 1 tsp! I’ve updated this in the recipe too!
Hello! What are the measurements for the things in this recipe? For the mayo, is it really 1.4 cups? or 1/4 cup?
Thanks for asking! Should be 1/4 cup!
I really did not expect the taste of how much it taste like tuna melt.
I add onion powder and instead of spicy mustard I used dijon mustard. Thank you that will be my go to. Keep it coming . I love trying new vegan food.
Happy to hear Lessie! I can imagine Dijon mustard to work just fine too.
More to come, of course. Have a great day!
How much dill relish did you use?
About a tbsp per sandwich will do! But this can be adjusted to your likings of course 🙂