Colder weather means cozy sweaters, nights by the fire, football tailgating, and movie nights at home. The perfect fall recipe for all of these activities?
This healthy and cozy vegan chili! It’s the comfort food to trump all comfort foods, and this veggie-packed bowl of cozy goodness is full of bold and vibrant flavors, three kinds of beans for tons of plant based protein, and a few secret ingredients to truly make the best, most flavorful chili ever.
Customizable to make it smoky or spicy if you like, or mild if you don’t. It’s even tastier with a dollop of vegan greek yogurt and a piece of gluten free vegan cornbread.
- Dutch Oven
- Chef's Knife
- Cutting Board
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 sweet potato cubed
- 3 celery stalks sliced
- 2 carrots sliced
- 2 red bell peppers chopped
- 2 TBSP hot chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt and pepper
- 2 TBSP unsweetened raw cacao powder
- 28 oz canned diced tomatoes
- 1 C water or vegetable broth
- 1/4 C tomato paste
- 4 oz chipotle peppers in adobo sauce chopped, skip if you do not like smoky/spicy flavors
- 1 TBSP balsamic vinegar
- 1 TBSP soy sauce or liquid aminos
- 14 oz can kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 14 oz can pinto beans rinsed and drained
- 14 oz can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 C yellow sweet corn
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 TBSP maple syrup
- 1 TBSP sriracha optional
- 2 C baby spinach roughly chopped
- 1/2 bunch cilantro chopped
- 1 C cherry tomatoes halved
- avocado sliced
- vegan greek yogurt or sour cream
- crispy chickpeas
- fresh cilantro
- Heat 1 TBSP olive oil or water in a large Dutch oven over low heat. Add in onion and garlic and sauté until fragrant. Add in sweet potatoes, carrots, and celery and sauté for 5 minutes. Add in bell peppers and sauté for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add in all seasonings, including cacao, and sauté for about 30 seconds, adding a little extra oil or water if needed.
- Pour in tomatoes, water or broth, tomato paste, chipotle peppers, balsamic vinegar, and soy sauce. Stir to combine. Add all beans. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add in remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Gently simmer for 5 minutes until corn is heated through, tomatoes have softened, and spinach has wilted. Season to taste by adjusting sriracha, maple syrup, salt, pepper, and lime juice.
- Serve hot topped with recommended toppings.
2 thoughts on “Healthy Vegan Sweet Potato Chili”
Amazing!! Been eating this all week for lunch! Great flavor (I kept out the hot stuff!), and delicious combination of veggies and beans (also kept out the spinach). Will definitely be making this again!
So happy to hear you enjoyed it Megan! Truly appreciate the feedback!