I’ve been seeing this “Firecracker Chicken” all over Pinterest over the last couple of months and it looks soooo good I had to create a vegan tofu version!
These slightly spicy, slighty sweet, glazed tofu pieces are going to be your new fav, they definitely are ours! The spice level is pretty mild so feel free to double or even triple the red pepper flakes if you like heat.
- 1 14 oz package extra firm tofu pressed for 20 min-1 hr
- 1/3 cup corn starch
- 1 tbs soy sauce
- ½ cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1½ – 2½ tbs vegan milk will depend how thick your vegan mayo is
- 1 tbs soy sauce
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup franks red hot
- 2 tbs vegan butter
- ½ tsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbs apple cider vinegar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F, spray a large (9 x 11″) baking dish with cooking spray or grease with extra vegan butter and set aside
- Cut tofu into 1-inch cubes, I like to filet it in half then cut into cubes.
- In a large bowl, toss tofu with soy sauce and some fresh cracked black pepper and set aside
- In a small saucepan add brown sugar, franks red hot, and butter heat over medium heat and stir until the butter is melted and brown sugar dissolves. Off the heat and add Worcestershire, garlic powder, apple cider vinegar, salt and red pepper flakes. Set aside.
- Place the corn starch in a medium bowl and in another medium bowl mix together the vegan mayo and milk. How much milk you need will vary according to what mayo you use. I’ve found that different brands have different consistencies. I used the vegan Hellman’s brand which is the thickest I have found and I needed 2 ½ tbs of milk. You want the consistency to still be thick but not too thick. It needs to coat the outside of the tofu like a beaten egg would.
- Take a piece of tofu, toss in corn starch, and then toss in mayo/milk mixture. Place on a clean plate to the side and repeat until all tofu is battered.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add ¼ cup oil. Once the oil is hot, add battered tofu pieces, cooking 2-3 minutes then flipping and cooking another 2-3 minutes. Remove from pan and place in prepared baking dish.
- Stir the franks red hot/butter mixture to recombine, then pour over the tofu in the baking dish. Place baking dish with tofu in the oven, bake for 20 minutes, then flip and bake for another 10-15 minutes. Serve immediately
SHARE THIS RECIPE!
Find more tasty recipes from this author on their socials: