This Air Fryer General Tso Cauliflower dish highlights how cauliflower recipes can be a great way to adapt your favorite dishes to a plant-based diet.
- 1 1/2 cups dry Jasmine rice
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1 head cauliflower washed and cut into florets
- 1 red bell pepper washed, deseeded and sliced into bite-sized pieces
- 1 green bell pepper washed, deseeded and sliced into bite-sized pieces
- 1 scallion washed and thinly sliced with the white parts separated from the green parts
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger minced
- 1 tbsp fresh garlic minced
- 1/2 cup tamari
- 2 tbsp unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp sriracha sauce plus additional sriracha as optional garnishment
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp safflower oil or another high-temperature cooking oil
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil optional, for additional flavor
- sesame seeds as optional garnishment
- Prepare the Jasmine rice in accordance with the package directions.1 1/2 cups dry Jasmine rice
- Combine the flour, salt, pepper and water in a small mixing bowl. Add the cauliflower florets and toss in the batter. Using tongs, place the battered cauliflower in an air fryer. Air fry for 12-15 minutes. If you don’t have an air fryer, see Recipe Notes.1 cup all-purpose flour1 tsp salt1/8 tsp ground black pepper1 cup water1 head cauliflower
- While the rice and cauliflower are cooking, prepare the sauce by combining the scallion whites, ginger, garlic, tamari, rice vinegar, maple syrup and sriracha sauce in a small bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the cornstarch and water and mix until it becomes a slurry. Add the cornstarch slurry to the tamari sauce. Stir to combine.1 scallion1 tbsp fresh ginger1 tbsp fresh garlic1/2 cup tamari2 tbsp unseasoned rice vinegar2 tbsp pure maple syrup1/2 tsp sriracha sauce1 tbsp cornstarch1 tbsp water
- When the cauliflower is done, preheat a wok or large frying pan until hot. Add the safflower and toasted sesame oil. When the oil is shimmering, add the red and green bell peppers. Sauté for 1-2 minutes until the peppers are vibrant, but still crisp.1 red bell pepper2 tbsp safflower oil1 tsp toasted sesame oil1 green bell pepper
- Add the air fried cauliflower and toss to combine.
- Add the tamari mixture. Toss to combine the vegetables in the sauce. The sauce should begin to thicken as it cooks. Continue to cook for 2-3 minutes until the desired sauce consistency is reached. Remove the vegetables from the heat.
- Prepare each serving bowl with 2-3 large scoops of rice. Top the rice with the vegetables and garnish with scallion greens, sesame seeds and additional sriracha as desired.sesame seeds
- No air fryer? No worries! Preheat the oven to 425º and add the battered cauliflower to a lightly oiled baking sheet. Or, better yet, use a silicon baking mat. Roast the battered cauliflower for 15 minutes, then pause to flip each piece. Roast for an additional 5-10 minutes until crispy.