If you haven’t eaten a knish yet, what are you waiting for?! Its only the best Jewish street food ever created (imo)- it’s essentially a dumpling stuffed with savory/& or sweet goodness. In this recipe, mashed sweet potatoes are combined with caramelized onions,spinach & warming/sweet spices.
For ease & convenience, the filling is wrapped in a store bought whole wheat soft tortilla instead of the traditional homemade wrapper. A knish makes a perfect snack, app, lunch, or even a light dinner with soup & salad. I used a tahini dressing to go with and it was perfect
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes approx 5 med
- 1 med white onion halved & sliced in 1/8 in strips
- 1-1 1/2 cup veggie broth low salt
- 2 handfuls baby spinach about 2.5 oz
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp garlic
- 1/4 tsp salt and pepper
- 8 8 inch whole wheat flour soft tortillas
- 2 tbl all-purpose flour mixed with equal parts water (flour paste)
- Bake sweet potatoes on rack at 350 F till fork tender 30-40 min. Let cool & peel skin using fork
- On stovetop using a large Dutch oven, heat 1/4 cup broth on high, when it starts to boil, add onions, lower heat to med & stir frequently, when broth has evaporated & onions start to stick, add another 1/4 cup broth. Repeat process for about 20 min until onions are caramelized. Then add spinach, stirring until wilted, 1-2 min, scraping up any brown bits from the bottom of the pot
- Next, in a large bowl mash potatoes using a ricer/or the back of a fork, add caramelized onions/spinach, fresh parsley, seasoning & salt & pepper to taste
- To make knish: put 1/2 cup filling in center of the tortilla & mold it into a 3x3 in square. Dab flour paste around edges of tortilla. Next, fold over right & then left side of tortilla & seal in overlapping layers on top of the center of filling. Repeat by folding over the top & then bottom of the tortilla to fully cover filling. Place knish seam side down on parchment lined baking sheet. Repeat. Approx 7-8 ct
- Bake 350 F till tortilla gets firm & golden approx 15-20 min flipping half way through. Enjoy!
Make sure to check out Sara’s Instagram for more tasty recipes!