Do you make Sunday dinners extra special?
Back in the 90s, me and my crew used to have parties every Sunday night that revolved around elaborate dinners cooked by me and group viewings of HBO shows like the Sopranos, Sex and the City and Six Feet Under. I continued the tradition through the early two thousands and nowadays even though that party life has been traded in for family life, I still love a good pasta dinner and a glass of wine on Sunday nights.
This vegan pasta is hearty, full of protein and fiber and totally scrumptious.
Share this recipe!
- Put on water to boil on back burner first to time correctly.
- Sauté onion and garlic in a large, deep pan, chopped fine in 1 tbsp olive oil until very fragrant (3-5 mins) then add chopped baby bells and cook 3 more mins until peppers are soft and inions are browning.
- Add crushed tomato, tomato paste and 1 cup water and bring to a boil.
- Add drained beans, a pinch of salt and crushed red pepper if desired. Add 1 pinch turbinado sugar to cut acidity if desired and cook 5 minutes.
- Cook pasta according to box, add 1 tbsp vegan butter so pasta doesn’t stick together and reserve aside until last step.
- Add in kale chopped very small at the end to wilt but retain some integrity then add in the cooked pasta and mix well tossing until sauce clings to the pasta.
- Top pasta with fresh basil, black pepper and chili flakes.