The weather might be starting to warm up but that doesn’t mean I’m letting go of soups just yet – especially not letting go of this vegan pho bowl with aromatic ginger, charred onion, cinnamon, cloves, anise and more. Can you smell it yet?! 😍
My Vietnamese-inspired pho bowl is made with gluten free brown rice noodles, loads of veggies and tofu, and bathed in this aromatic and soul-soothing broth.
Pho Soup Ingredients
- 8 cups veggie broth
- 2 whole cinnamon sticks
- 3 whole cloves
- 3 whole star anise
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 3 inch piece fresh ginger peeled and sliced in half
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 onion cut in half yellow or white
- 3 oz shiitake mushrooms rinsed and dried for broth
- 2-3 carrots peeled + cut into 3 inch spears
- 2 large zucchini cut into 3 inch spears
- 4 heads baby bok choy
- 5 oz shiitake mushrooms
- 3 ramen noodles cakes
- fresh basil/mint/cilantro
- bean sprouts
- sliced jalapenos
- scallions/green onions
To Make the Tofu
- Before everything, drain and press the tofu for at least 15 minutes.
- Whisk together the soy sauce, maple syrup, garlic, lime juice, ginger, and oil in a bowl.
- Cut the pressed tofu into cubes. Add to a bowl and pour the marinade over the tofu. Gently toss the tofu until coated and set aside.
- Pan sear the tofu over medium-high heat at the end, after the broth has been made. Gently rotate the tofu in the pan to brown all sides, about 7-10 minutes, constantly moving it around so that it sears but doesn't burn.
To Make the Broth
- Roast/Broil/Air fry the halved ginger, halved onion and 3oz of shiitake mushrooms until slightly charred.
- In a big pot, add the veggie stock, cinnamon, cloves, star anise, coriander, fennel and cardamom, and soy sauce. Bring to a boil. Add the charred ginger, onion and mushrooms.
- Cover and reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Strain your broth to remove the cinnamon sticks, cloves, fennel seeds, ginger, onion, and mushrooms. You can eat the onion and mushroom in your Pho or discard.
To Make the Veggies + Noodles
- While the broth is simmering, gently boil carrots, zucchini and bok choy in salted water in a separate pot for about 5 minutes, just until fork soft.
- Saute the 5oz of shiitake mushrooms in a dash of neutral oil.
- In a separate pot, bring water to a boil and cook ramen noodles according to package instructions.
- In a large bowl, add ramen noodles, veggies, and pan-seared tofu. Ladle in broth. Garnish with desired toppings.