It’s going to be 4 degrees tonight so boy am I STOKED to have this Vegetable and Barley Stew to warm me up! This stew is full of basic staples and the broth is incredibly flavorful thanks to a special ingredient.
This recipe makes a huge batch but it freezes really well and makes a great meal prep recipe.
And as with any soup or stew, serve with plenty of crusty bread.
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Large Onion small dice
- 3 Medium Carrots small dice
- 3 Small Ribs Celery small dice
- 3 Medium Cloves Garlic minced
- 1 Medium Potato Small Dice
- 3/4 Cup Barley
- 6 Cups Vegetable Stock
- 3/4 Cup Dry Red Wine
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1/2 Cup Frozen Peas
- 1 Cup Frozen Kale or Spinach
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- In a large dutch oven or soup potover medium heat, sauté onion, celery and carrot in olive oil until they begin to soften and brown. 5-7 minutes.
- Add minced garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Then add potatoes, barley, vegetable stock, wine, thyme, bay leaves and some black pepper. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer with the lid on for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- After 45 minutes have elapsed, add frozen peas and kale. Cook for 5 more minutes, then remove from heat.
- Serve immediately or portion into airtight containers and store in the fridge for up to 5 days or the freezer for up to 1 month.