This soup is so full of wonderful flavors! It’s a bit tangy and a bit sweet and if you like it also has heat! ( I didn’t mean to rhyme!)
This a take on the classic Tom Kha Gai soup which is a Coconut Chicken Soup that you may have had out. The nice thing about this recipe is it’s easily adaptable to not only be Vegan but to adjust the ingredients as some of the traditional Thai ones can be hard to find.
- 1 can full fat Coconut Milk
- 1 can Lite Coconut Milk
- 1 1/4 cups dry Butlers Soy Curls you can sub any Plant Based Chicken or leave it out and add more veggies
- 8 -10 Baby Bella Mushrooms halved, canned Straw Mushrooms would also be good
- 1/2 small Onion sliced in half moons
- 1 medium knob Ginger chopped
- 2 Green Onions
- 2 Red Anaheim Chili Peppers These are mildly spicy in my opinion. You can certainly leave them out or use Red Bell Peppers. You can also use Thai Chili Peppers which are hotter
- 2 Tbsp chopped Cilantro
- 2 Tbsp chopped Thai Basil
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Mekhala Tom Yum Base or Red Curry Paste these pastes typically contain a lot of the herbs and spices that can be hard to find
- 2 tsp Vegan Fish Sauce I also like Oceans Halo
- 2 pieces Lemon Grass split lengthwise
- Juice of 1 Lime plus wedges for garnish
- 1/4 tsp Poultry Seasoning
- Soak the Soy Curls in hot water with 1/4 tsp of Poultry Seasoning. Set aside
- 2.Sauté the Onion and Ginger either in a bit of Oil or in Water. Just for a few minutes until fragrant
- Add in the Mushrooms and continue to sauté until the Mushrooms start to cook down
- Add in the Tom Yum Base or Red Curry and mix well.
- Add in the Coconut Milk and Lemon Grass and simmer over medium heat for 10 -1 5 minutes
- While the Soup is cooking, drain and squeeze out any excess water from the Soy Curl. Pull them apart to resemble shreds.
- Add the Soy Curls to the soup along with 1 sliced Chili Pepper, 1 Tbsp of Cilantro, 1 Tbsp of Thai Basil Leaves and Vegan Fish Sauce.
- Bring the Soup to a soft boil for 15 minutes and then add in the Lime Juice and sliced Green Onions
- Remove the Lemon Grass before serving and garnish with the remaining Chili Pepper slices, Thai Basil & Cilantro
SHARE THIS RECIPE!
SUBSCRIBE TO THE NEWSLETTER!
Receive the latest vegan recipes straight into your inbox! You can sign out at any time.