VEGAN MANDARINE CAKE
If you think cakes aren’t for the summer time: let me present to you this refreshing piece of sweetness.
A fluffy, delicious layer of vanilla sponge cake, covered with yogurt cream and Mandarines, topped with a sweet layer of mandarine jelly.
Absolutely perfect for hot days like these. Best fresh out of the fridge.
Share this recipe!
- 7×7 inch / 18×18 cm diameter cake tin
- sillicon pastry scraper
For The Batter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour + 3 tbsp
- 9 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 cup plant-based milk I used Alpro Soy Milk
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp oil
- pinch of salt
For The Filling
- 1 can mandarines 250 g don't discard the water!
- 2/3 cup soy yogurt
- 200 ml plant-based whipping cream
- 2 tbsp cream stiffener
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 1 Agar Agar Sheet (equals 3 sheets gelatin) or 1/2 tsp agar agar
For the Top Layer
- 1 cup mandarin juice
- 1 Agar Agar Sheet
- orange food coloring
For the Cake Layer
- Preheat the oven to 345 °F / 175 °C.
- In one bowl: mix together all of the dry ingredients. In another bowl, mix together all of the wet ingredients.
- Then pour the wet ingredients into the dry ones and combine well until you have a smooth batter.
- Take your baking tin and line it with parchment paper: sides and bottom.
- Pour the batter into the cake tin and even it out.
- Bake on middle rack for 20-30 minutes or until done. Use a toothpick to test if the cake is done by sticking it in the center of the cake. If it comes out clean, the cake is done.
- When the cake is done, take it out of the oven and let it cool completely. But don't take it out of the baking tin just yet.
- If your cake has developed a lil dome, simply cut it off with a long and sharp knife.
For The Cream Layer
- Take a small pot and add the Agar Agar, yogurt and sugar.
- Bring to boil while constantly stirring. Stir until the Agar Agar sheets have dissolved completely.
- When the Agar Agar has dissolved, take off the stove and set aside for now. Don't let it cool for longer than 5 minutes!
- Continue with the whipping cream: whip until it starts to get stiff. Then add the cream stiffener and continue whipping it until it is completely stiff.
- Take your Agar Agar yogurt mix (that is still very warm) and add it to the cream in 3 portions. Carefully combine with the cream until you have a smooth mixture.
- Take the cool cake (that is still in the baking tin) and add half of the cream mixture to it.
- Now place half of the mandarins you have on the cream and push some down a lil.
- Take the second half of the cream and add it. Place the remaining mandarines on top of the cream and push them down until you can't see them anymore. Even out the surface.
- Place the cake in your fridge for 1 hour.
For The Top Layer
- Take a small pot and mix together the mandarin liquid and gelatin sheet.
- Set to high heat and continuously whisk until the gelatin has dissolved. Add some food coloring drops until you have a nice orange color.
- Let it cool for about 3 minutes then pour it onto the cake.
- Put the cake back into the fridge and let it sit in there for 1 hour.
- Eat within 5 days.
SUBSCRIBE TO THE NEWSLETTER!
Receive the latest vegan recipes straight into your inbox! You can sign out at any time.