Y’all, these Vegan Chipotle Chick’n Flautas with Avocado Crema are my absolute favorite 👅💦
Think extra cheesy with just a hint of spice. And the avocado cream + all the delicious toppings?! Chef’s Kiss.
They’re also perfect for freezing, so make a double (or heck, triple!) batch for an easy weeknight dinner, late night munchies, or a quick appetizer!
Tomatillo Verde Sauce
- cilantro chopped
- red onion diced
- romaine lettuce thinly sliced
- tomatoes chopped
Tomatillo Verde Sauce
- Preheat oven to a medium or high broil
- Place tomatillos, garlic, pasilla pepper, onion, and jalapeno in a large bowl. Toss with 2 teaspoons avocado oil, ensuring all the tomatillos and vegetables are lightly coated with oil. Place in a single layer on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Broil in the middle rack of the oven until the vegetables are soft and slightly charred, about 17-20 minutes. Remove and set aside to cool, about 15-20 minutes.
- Once cool, add all the ingredients to a high speed blender and blend until smooth. Trasfer sauce to a medium saucepan and simmer on low heat, stirring often, about 10 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings. Cover and keep warm.
Sour Cream Crema
- In a smal mixing bowl, whisk ingredients until well combined. If it seems too thick, add a bit of non-dairy milk until you reach desired consistency. Asjust seasonings. Set aside.
- Add avocado, sour cream, cilantro, garlic, 2 tablespoons non-dairy milk, and lemon juice to a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth, Taste and adjust seasonings, adding a pinch of salt and more non-dairy milk one tablespoon at a time until you reached your deisred taste and consistency. Set aside.
- In a pan on medium heat, add avocado oil and vegan chick'n strips. Season the strips with cumin, oregano, salt, chipotle powder, and smoked paprika.
- Using the back of a wooden spoon, break up the strips once they are warmed through, and continue to cook them according to package directions.
- Transfer seasoned chick'n to a large bowl with cheddar and mozzarella shreds, mixing to thoroughy combine the chick'n with the cheese.
- Meanwhile, heat about a ½" inch vegetable oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat.
- Working with one tortilla at a time, add about 3 tablespoons of the chick'n and cheese mixture in a line down the center of the tortilla.
- Roll tightly and secure crosswise with toothpicks.
- Once you've rolled all your tortillas, transfer them to the hot oil gently with tongs and fry them seam side down, about 5-6 minutes, flipping halfway through. Transfer flautas to a paper towel lined plate, remove toothpicks, and repeat until all the flautas are fried.
- To serve, add about ½ cup of tomatillo sauce to a shallow bowl. Gently place flautas on top of the sauce and drizzle with each of the cremas. Top with cilantro, red onion, lettuce, and tomatoes and serve immediately.