I have seen the commercial for Little Caesar’s stuffed crazy bread probably 100 times. So I figured that was my sign to make a vegan version. I haven’t ever had the real version but trust me, these are definitely better. Homemade dough makes these breadsticks super light and fluffy and I could actually swim in the vegan garlic butter sauce.
They are not hard to make but do require some proofing time, so you will have to be a little patient with them. I love making homemade dough but if you prefer you can always use a store-bought pizza dough and skip the proofing all together making this a much quicker process.
- 3 cups all purpose flour (360g)
- 1 packet yeast (2 1/4 teaspoon [7g])
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon organic granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoon vegan butter melted
- 3/4 / 1 cup water 180ml to 240ml
- 1 1/4 cup vegan mozzarella shreds (140g)
- 2 tablespoons non-dairy milk unsweetened and unflavored
- 1/4 cup vegan butter melted (44g)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons vegan parmesan cheese grated
- Pour the flour into a large bowl. Stir with a whisk or sift to remove any clumps. Add the yeast and mix together with a spoon. Then pour the sugar and salt in and mix together. Note: if you only have active dry yeast proof the yeast according to package directions with 3/4 cup of warm water and the sugar.
- Pour in the melted vegan butter and 1/2 cup of water. If using the active dry yeast add that in now. Mix with a spoon until a shaggy dough forms. Gradually add in more water as necessary while mixing. I used 3/4 cup of water when I made this but different weather and locations can require you to use more or less water depending on the humidity in the air. Then knead the dough with clean hands in the bowl and once it is starting to form a ball turn it out onto a clean surface. Knead for 5 minutes or until the dough has formed a smooth ball. Set it aside for 5 to 10 minutes for the gluten to relax.
- Using a knife, cut the dough into 8 even pieces.
- Using a rolling pin, roll the dough out into about 7 inch long ovals. This does not have to be perfect. If you find it is sticking, you can sprinkle some flour. Then place about 2 tablespoons of the vegan mozzarella shreds down the center of the oval.
- Fold it over to seal the cheese in roll it up. Roll the ends in as well and try to pinch the seams together as best you can. Repeat until all are made.
- Place on a lined rimmed baking sheet and cover with a kitchen towel. Lightly brush with the nondairy milk. Let them proof for 45 minutes. They will get a bit bigger and puffier.
- Preheat the oven to 425F (218C).
- Once the oven is preheated and dough is done proofing place in the oven. Bake for 9 minutes at 425 then lower to 375F (190C) for 2 more minutes. The breadsticks will be golden brown and some cheese may have oozed out, but that is okay.
- While they bake prepare the vegan garlic butter sauce by combining all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Once the breadsticks are done brush with the vegan butter and enjoy warm.