As a kid broccoli cheddar soup was my JAM. Soup season is really just the best because 1. so cozy 2. one pot clean up, hello. Does it get easier? I don’t think so.
I have wanted to make a vegan version of that comforting cheesy soup I loved as a kid for a long time now, and I am happy to say this soup has become one of my top 5 recipes, easy! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 5 garlic minced
- 4 celery chopped
- 2 large carrots chopped into large 1-2 inch pieces
- 1 russet potato chopped into large 1-2 inch pieces, skin on
- 2 yukon gold potatoes chopped into large 1-2 inch pieces, skin on
- 9 cups veggie broth low sodium, I love @betterthanbouillon
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup hemp hearts
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 4 heads broccoli finely chopped
- 2 tsp salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- In a large soup pot sauté garlic, onion, and celery for ~5 minutes until soft and fragrant.
- Add roughly chopped carrots and potatoes, try to keep their sizes close to the same when chopping. About 1-2 inch pieces. Cover with veggie broth and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer until carrots and potato are fork tender, about 15-20 minutes. Stirring every few minutes.
- Using a mesh strainer or slotted spoon, remove potatoes and carrots and transfer to a high speed blender with 3 cups of the soup stock, nutritional yeast, hemp hearts, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Blend on high speed until a smooth cream forms. Transfer back to the soup pot and stir to combine.
- Add chopped broccoli and simmer ~5 minutes until broccoli is cooked. Taste and adjust the salt/pepper to your liking.
- Serve with chives or green onions and crunchy chickpeas for some protein and crunch 🙂