I have never had an actual Big Mac. I am putting that as the first sentence as a disclaimer. However, what I made was pretty damn delicious and I would consider it to be pretty close to a real Big Mac. The burger itself is pretty standard onions, pickles, lettuce, American cheese. The real magic comes from the special sauce.
For this recipe I decided to go with Beyond Burgers. In the US they are pretty much the closest thing you can buy to a burger. I know not everyone has access to Beyond Burgers. So here are some suggestions if you can’t find them: Lightlifes Plant Based “Beef” Burgers, Morningstar Meat Lover Vegan Burger, Aldi’s Meat Free Butcher burger, Oumph Burger, Gardein Burgers and many more options. You can really use any “burger” you like for this but it is best to find ones that replicate ground beef more rather than a veggie burger.
- Prepare special sauce by adding all ingredients into a bowl. Mixing well together until sauce turns light orange and refrigerate. *
- Prepare all the vegetables by chopping onions, vegetables and cucumbers if need be.
- Take 1 Beyond Beef patty and cut it in half.
- Using a fork mold the patties into thinner, smaller patties. Top with garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Bring it over to a non-stick pan (if you use a regular pan, you may want to add a drop of oil) and put the seasoned side down. Then add the remaining seasonings to the same side.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes per side until brown. Flip once so each side gets cooked. Extra oil is really not required as there already is a lot of oil in the Beyond Meat patties. If using a different patty with less oil you may want to add a dot of oil.
- Once the patties are cooked turn off pan and remove one patty. Add a piece of vegan cheese to the patty to lightly melt and add the buns into the pan to lightly toast.
- Assemble the burger according to a McDonald’s Big Mac. Start by taking one bottom bun and spreading some special sauce. Add lettuce, the vegan cheese, a patty and some onion. Add the second bottom bun, you may need to cut this in half depending on how thick it is. Spread special sauce, lettuce and pickles. Then add the remaining patty, top with more onion and finally the top bun.
- You may need to squish the burger down a bit. Pair with fries if you like and enjoy!