This is the best lentil soup that is super easy to make, hearty, and so delicious. I’ve been craving all the soups lately because it’s been so cold and rainy here! This lentil soup can be made in the Instant Pot or on the stovetop. It’s so cozy, healthy, and warms you right up!
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 4 medium carrots diced
- 4 stalks celery chopped
- 2 medium sweet potatoes peeled and diced
- 3-4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp sea salt
- fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups green lentils or brown lentils
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes or diced tomatoes
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- (stovetop directions at the end) Add oil to Instant Pot and turn on the saute function. Then add the onions and cook for 3-4 minutes until translucent.
- Add the carrots, celery, sweet potatoes, and garlic. Saute for 2-3 minutes. Then add the cumin, curry powder, dried thyme, salt, and pepper. Saute for 1 minute.
- Cancel saute function. Add the lentils, tomatoes, and vegetable broth. Stir and make sure to deglaze the bottom of the pan.
- Cover with lid and make sure valve is in the sealing position. Cook on high pressure for 15 minutes, then let it naturally release pressure for 10-15 minutes. Open lid and stir soup. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed. Serve with bread. Enjoy!
- To make on the stove top, prepare the recipe until step 3. Bring soup to a boil, then simmer and cover the pot. Let it simmer for 25-35 minutes until lentils are soft (not mushy), stirring occasionally. Enjoy!