Do you have a recipe on rotation? One that you could make in your sleep? That helps you put a healthy, plant-based meal on the table? 🍠
This Sweet Potato Burrito Bowl makes a nearly weekly appearance at my house, at least in some variation. Those cumin-spiced sweet potatoes and black beans are staples, and I almost always have fresh avocados in the house and pickled red onions in the refrigerator. 🍠
But the best part of this recipe is that it’s super flexible. For this version, I included my Sweet Corn Salsa. If mangos are in season, I will sometimes add my Mango Guacamole. Another favorite is Chimichurri Sauce. 🍠
- 1 1/2 cups dry red rice blend I like LotusFoods’ Organic Tri-Color Rice Blend
- 2 sweet potatoes garnet yams washed and diced
- 2 tbsp safflower oil divided
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1/2 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 25 oz can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen sweet corn defrosted
- 1/2 pint grape tomatoes diced
- 1/2 jalapeno washed, deseeded and diced
- 1 bunch cilantro washed and torn
- 1/2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 lime washed and cut into wedges
- 1 avocado sliced
- pickled red onions to taste
- roasted pumpkin seeds to taste
- chili powder as optional seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 425º.
- Prepare the rice in accordance with package directions.
- Toss the sweet potatoes in 1 tbsp safflower oil, cumin and chili powder. Spread the sweet potatoes out on a large baking sheet and roast on the middle rack for 15 minutes. Pause to stir the potatoes and continue roasting for another 15 minutes. The potatoes should be easily pierced with a fork with a crispy exterior.
- While the potatoes are roasting, add 1 tbsp safflower oil to a medium-sized sauce pan and turn the heat to medium. When the oil is shimmering, add the onion and the salt. Sauté the onion until it starts to brown. About 12-15 minutes. Then add the garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes more. Add the drained black beans and enough water to cover the beans. Simmer for 15-20 minutes until the beans have softened slightly. Drain the water and set aside.
- Combine the corn, grape tomatoes, jalapeno, 2 tbsp of torn cilantro leaves, fresh lime juice, olive oil and salt and pepper. Toss and set aside.
- Build your vegan burrito bowls by starting with a bed of red rice blend. Add the crispy roasted sweet potatoes and black beans as your main ingredients. Flank the sweet potatoes and beans with sliced avocado, lime wedges, pickled red onions and corn salsa. Top with additional cilantro, roasted pumpkin seeds and chili powder.