Sweet Potato Black Bean Enchiladas.🧡🍠
This dish is fiery and comforting. Made with black beans and sweet potato, rolled in whole-wheat flour tortillas and smothered with zesty homemade enchilada sauce. Then drizzled with a refreshing cilantro-lime avocado crema. Are you drooling yet?
Needless to say it’s a sure-fire crowd pleaser, whether you’re vegan or not! We loved this one and I think you will too.
Homemade Enchilada Sauce (makes 1.5 cups)
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 2 tbsp neutral oil avocado oil or coconut oil
- 1 onion red or white, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 tbsp neutral oil avocado oil or coconut oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups baby spinach tightly packed
- 1 can black beans 14 fl oz/400 ml, strained and rinsed
- 6 8- inch whole-wheat flour tortillas or gluten-free tortillas
Homemade enchilada sauce (makes 1.5 cups)
- Measure out all your dry ingredients, as well as tomato paste and veg broth. The recipe comes together quickly, so have them close by.
- Heat oil in a medium-sized saucepan on high. Once hot (i.e. the surface is shimmering) whisk in all-purpose flour and spice mixture. Continue whisking to combine, until thick and fragrant. Then add tomato paste.
- Slowly splash in vegetable broth. Continue whisking to form a smooth liquid. Bring sauce to a low simmer and cook for 5 to 10 mins, or until thick and saucy. (Consistency should be thick like ketchup). Splash in apple cider vinegar and stir to combine. Remove from heat and cover.
- Preheat oven to 400F/200C. Chop sweet potatoes into bite-sized cubes. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and spread sweet potatoes onto tray. Drizzle with oil and toss to coat. Cook for 20 mins. (Keep oven on for later).
- Meanwhile, toss onion, garlic, red bell pepper, and 1 tbsp neutral oil into a large deep skillet (or saucepan) on medium-high heat. Cook, stirring often until veg is softened (approx. 10 mins). Then add cumin, sea salt, chili powder and cinnamon. Toss to combine.
- Drop in spinach and cook for a few minutes until wilted. Finish by dropping in roasted sweet potato and black beans. Stir to combine. Remove from heat.
- Assemble enchiladas by pouring 1/4 cup of the homemade enchilada sauce into your casserole dish. (I used a 8.5 x 11 inch baking dish). Spread out the sauce to coat the base.
- Grab a tortilla and add spoonfuls of filling mixture to the middle. You want it full, but not too full that you can't roll it (about 1/2 cup of filling should do). Snugly fold in the sides to form a log. Place the burrito seam side down into your casserole dish. Repeat with remaining tortillas and filling, until you've used them all up and the tortillas are snug in the casserole dish,
- Drizzle the top of your pan with remaining homemade enchilada sauce. Spread to cover as best you can. Cook enchiladas for 20 mins, or until the top is golden and bubbling. Let cool slightly (approx. 10 mins) before serving.
Cilantro Lime Avocado Crema
- Meanwhile, prepare your crema by adding all the contents to a blender. Blend until smooth and creamy. Drizzle enchilada casserole with the avocado crema. Optional to sprinkle casserole with more cilantro. Serve enchiladas with remaining crema.