The fam & I had these tasty little flavor bombs last night. We mixed them in with our favorite pesto pasta.
The textures & flavors were just perfect. I was inspired by a recipe that I came across in the @nytcooking that I just had to veganize. Sour cream & onion foreverrrr 🤤🤤🤤
- 1 block of extra firm tofu pressed & drained, optional freeze/thaw method for meatier texture
- 1/2 cup sour cream dairy-free
- 2 tbl chopped chives
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp onion powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cup panko
- 1 tbl onion powder
- Using a sharp knife, cut tofu block through its length forming 3 equal size slices. Then cut the block in half through its width- giving 6 pieces. Cut each of those pieces in 1/2 through its depth. Giving you a total of 12 nuggets. Season with salt & pepper
- In a flat bottomed storage container combine & mix well, sour cream, chives, onion powder, & lemon juice. Place tofu pieces in marinade which will be thick. Brush the tops & sides of tofu to fully cover. Cover container & marinate at least 4 hours or up to overnight (for best results)
- In a non-stick pan, toast panko in batches till golden over med heat.
- Place toasted panko in a shallow bowl with onion powder & salt/pepper.
- Dredge each tofu piece into panko using a spoon to help coat, & be sure to press panko into tofu so the coating will stick. Then place tofu on an oven-safe wire rack onto a baking sheet (or parchment paper).
- Bake at 400 F for 20-30 min until tofu coating gets crisp & tofu gets firm. Serve with a squeeze of lemon! I enjoyed my nuggets over a big bowl of pesto pasta.
Make sure to check out Sara’s Instagram for more tasty recipes!