Sizzling black pepper tofu, SO freaking delicious and one for my vegan friends out there 🤗 Save this now, you’re going to love it I promise. And you won’t miss meat either! 🔥#veganfood
Technically you can skip the cornflour step as it’s fine without, but I love the added texture and the way the outer layer absorbs the sauce. It’s delicious and you’ll eat a big bowl of rice with it, just like me!
- 2 blocks firm tofu around 300g
- corn flour or cornstarch, to coat
- 4 tbsps light soy sauce
- 2 tbsps soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Chinese cooking wine
- 1 tbsp vegan oyster sauce or kecap manis
- 1-2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 6 slices ginger finely chopped
- Handful spring onions chopped
- 6 tbsps water
- Press the tofu to drain off any excess water, and slice into thick pieces. Coat generously in cornflour.
- Mix the sauces together along with the chopped aromatics.
- Head up a frying pan with oil and pan fry the tofu on each side for a few minutes until golden brown.
- Once the tofu is golden and crispy, turn down the heat and pour in the sauce. Let this simmer and reduce until almost all the water is evaporated. Flip the tofu around to allow the sauce to coat all over.
- Serve immediately with a garnish of chopped spring onions over steamed rice. Enjoy!