These samoa baked oatmeal bars are soft, moist, and loaded with toasted coconut and gooey chocolate chips! They’re the perfect grab and go breakfast, healthy snack or afternoon treat!
This first time I tried Samoa Cookies in the USA, it was love at first bite! The chewy coconut combined with the decadent chocolate drizzle is truly a combo like no other! I crave these cookies basically all the time, and since we don’t have them here in Canada, I knew I had to come up with my own Samoa themed recipe. These Samoa Baked Oatmeal Bars are SO easy to make and are loaded with all the toasty coconut and gooey chocolate goodness! You won’t even miss those Samoa Cookies once you try this recipe!
INGREDIENTS IN THESE SAMOA BAKED OATMEAL BARS
The best part about these healthy baked oatmeal bars is that they’re made with completely simple, healthy ingredients that you probably already have on hand! Healthy enough to have for breakfast, yet still satisfy all those sweet tooth cravings.
Rolled Oats – be sure to use gluten free rolled oats for gluten free! I do not recommend using instant oats or steel cut oats for this recipe as it will affect the texture and baking time.
Oat Flour – If you don’t have oat flour, you can easily make your own by blending rolled oats into a fine flour like texture.
Bananas – spotty, overripe bananas work best for this recipe and add a lovely natural sweetness
Almond Butter – I always look for natural almond butter with no added oils or refined sugars. Creamy almond butter is my favourite for these healthy oat bars but you can use any nut butter you’d like!
Flax Egg – to make your flax egg, combine 1tbsp ground flaxseed with 2.5tbsp water. Let sit 5mins to “gel”
Almond Milk – binds all the ingredients together. You can substitute any nut milk (or regular milk if not dairy free)
Shredded Coconut – the key to all the delicious coconut flavours! I used shredded unsweetened coconut.
Chocolate Chips – the gooey chocolate chips combined with the coconut is truly the best combination! Feel free to add in any other mix in’s you’d like! Walnuts, pecans or or chopped dried fruit would work great too!
Maca Powder – I added maca powder for a nutritional superfood boost. It’s totally optional and won’t affect the outcome of the recipe if you omit.
- 2 overripe bananas mashed
- 1/3 cup almond butter
- 1 flax egg
- 2 tbsp almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp maca powder optional
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease of line an 8×8 baking pan with parchment paper.
- For flax egg, combine 1tbsp ground flaxseed with 2.5tsp water. Set aside 5mins to "gel."
- In a medium bowl, combine oat flour, oats, baking powder and maca powder.
- In a separate bowl, combine all wet ingredients including flax egg.
- Add dry ingredients to wet and stir until combined.
- Fold in coconut and chocolate chips.
- Pour into prepared baking pan and top with additional coconut and chocolate chips.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely. Slice into bars and enjoy!