🌱Simply delicious red lentils (swipe for ingredients) No coconut milk, no cashews 🌱High protein, easy, delicious and pantry friendly.
Share this recipe!
- 1 large yellow onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 serrano or jalapeño pepper minced (deseeded for less spice)
- 1/2 inch piece ginger minced
- 2 large tomatoes chopped
- 1 cup red lentils rinsed thoroughly
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- fresh cilantro to serve
- oil for cooking
- salt to taste
- Sauté 1 large chopped yellow onion in a little neutral flavored oil or broth until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add 4 minced garlic cloves, 1 minced serrano or jalapeño pepper (deseeded for less spice) and 1/2-inch piece minced ginger. Cook another minute until fragrant.
- Add 2 large chopped tomatoes and cook about another 5 minutes until softened and paste-like.
- Add 1 cup red lentils (rinsed thoroughly) and 2 cups water.
- Stir well and bring to a boil before reducing heat and simmering, covered, for about 15 minutes until lentils are cooked.
- Meanwhile, in a separate small saucepan, warm 1 tbsp neutral flavored oil and add 1/2 tsp cumin seeds. Cook until they start to sizzle and become fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Mix in 1/2 tsp mustard powder, 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp paprika and stir continuously while heating another 30 seconds.
- Remove from heat.
- Once lentils have finished cooking, add the cooked spice blend to the lentils and mix to incorporate.
- Use a potato masher to mash some of the lentils until you get a creamier consistency.
- Once heated through, add salt to taste. Serve with chopped fresh cilantro.
Did you try this recipe?Mention @goodoldvegan or tag #goodoldvegan!
Did you enjoy this recipe from Nisha? Then make sure to check out her Instagram!