Sunny Sundays are for vegan burgers! For me personally, the most exciting part about burgers have always been the toppings. So ever since going vegan I still fully enjoyed ALL kinds of veggie burgers 😋🍔
While there’s so many plant based burger options out there now – which is great! – the healthiest and often best ones are still homemade. Like these delicious patties made from lentils!
What is a must have on your burger?
Share this recipe!
- 1 cup brown lentils or green lentils
- 2-3 cups water
- 1/2 cup walnuts chopped
- 1 cup whole wheat panko bread crumbs
- 1 medium onion
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp onion powder garlic sweet paprika, smoked paprika and cumin each
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp tamari or soy sauce, coconut aminos
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 tbsp BBQ sauce optional
- avocado oil
- Rinse lentils thoroughly and cook with water until soft. I used the @instantpotofficial for this (Manual setting 20 minutes with 2 cups of water)If you’re making them stovetop you need to increase water to 3 cups cooking until very soft. (Around 30 minutes)
- In the meantime, finely dice onion and sauté with a splash of water or some avocado oil until browned. Add minced garlic and chopped walnuts to the pan and continue cooking for a few more minutes until walnuts are toasted.
- When the lentils are done, add them to a food processor along with onions walnut mix, breadcrumbs and spices and sauces. Pulse/Mix until everything is well combined.
- Refrigerate lentil mix for 30 minutes (this helps with forming the patties but you can omit this step when short on time), shape 4 even patties and pan fry them with some avocado oil for 7-10 minutes (depending on thickness) on low medium heat each side. Alternately for a firmer patty, you can pan fry them for a couple minutes each side and then bake in the oven at 400 F/200 C for about 20 minutes, flipping half way through.
- Serve on a bun of voice with your favorite toppings and enjoy!