While a classic grilled cheese is pretty perfect as it is, I felt like giving it a little decadent autumnal upgrade.
Delicious sourdough bread with apple cider caramelized onions, figs and melty vegan cheese? Yessss please! Who wants to share them with me? 😋
- 4 slices sourdough or bread of choice
- 4 Your favorite vegan cheese slices
- 2-3 fresh figs *
- vegan mayonnaise or vegan butter
- 1 large sweet onion sliced thinly
- 1 tbsp avocado oil or vegan butter
- 1 cup apple cider
- Sauté onions with vegan butter on low to medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add 1/2 a cup of apple cider to the pan, stirring occasionally. The other half after another 5 minutes. Let onions sauté until they are golden, caramelized, and delicious for another 5 minutes. The entire process takes a bit of time, around 20-25 minutes altogether. Don’t rush this step, don’t stir the onion around too much, and use low heat to avoid burning.
- Spread vegan mayo or butter on one side of each sourdough piece.Lay one slice (smeared side down) onto your heated pan or grill pan.
- Layer it with cheese, onions, sliced figs, another piece of cheese, and the second piece of sourdough (smeared side up).
- Grill from both sides until bread is golden brown and cheese has melted.
Make sure to check out Alex’s Instagram for more tasty recipes!