🌱Easy tofu masala 🌱
My super easy version of a tasty curry. (I used baking soda in this recipe to remove the acidity from the tomatoes instead of adding more maple to do this. I thought it worked well.)
- 1 cup cashews
- 14 oz block extra-firm tofu
- non-dairy milk oat is best
- 3 large tomatoes roughly chopped
- 1 inch ginger sliced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1-2 green chili minced
- 1 onion diced
- 3/4 tsp red chili powder not Mexican chili
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- cilantro chopped, to serve
- Soak 1 cup cashews in hot water for 1 hour.
- Press and drain 1-14oz block extra-firm tofu. Cut into approximately 3/4-inch cubes (or into approximately 1/4-inch thin triangles) and bake on lined sheet at 400F until lightly golden but not crispy, about 10-12 minutes.
- Blend soaked cashews until smooth, adding unsweetened non-dairy milk little by little as needed (oat is best) until smooth.
- Blend 3 large roughly chopped tomatoes.
- Grind with pestle and mortar or blend in small food chopper with a little water: 1-inch sliced ginger, 4 minced garlic cloves, 1-2 minced green chili.
- Sauté 1 diced onion in a little neutral flavored oil (or water) and cook until golden brown. Add 1-1/2 tbsp garlic/ginger/chili mixture and cook another minute. (Do not burn.)
- Add 3/4 tsp hot red chili powder (not Mexican chili) and cook another 30 seconds.
- Add blended tomatoes and simmer until thickens.
- Add 1/4 cup cashew cream and simmer a few more minutes while stirring.
- Add 1/4 tsp baking soda and stir to incorporate until bubbles disappear.
- Add 2 tbsp tomato paste, 1 tsp Garam Masala, 1 tbsp maple syrup and mix well.
- Add some more cashew cream (as much as desired to taste). Cook another couple minutes.
- Stir in tofu and simmer another few minutes, adding water as needed until reaches desired consistency.
- Serve with chopped fresh cilantro. Adjust salt, maple syrup and cashew cream to taste.
Did you try this recipe?Mention @goodoldvegan or tag #goodoldvegan!