Made these Easy Beet & Black Bean Burgers again recently and was reminded of how freaking good they are! Perfect as a midweek dinner as they only take 30 mins to throw together.
For the burgers
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1½ cups black beans drained and rinsed
- ½ a medium onion very finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 small beet/beetroot grated (about 1 heaped cup)
- ½ cup sweetcorn
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 2 tsp fresh thyme finely chopped
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ cup brown rice flour
- 2 tbsp tamari or Bragg's Soy Seasoning
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Avocado or grapeseed oil for frying
- 4 burger buns gluten-free if required
- Vegan mayonnaise see my quick recipe for vegan garlic mayo here
- 3-4 Lettuce leaves shredded
- 1-2 to matoes sliced
- Microgreens or sprouts optional
- In a small bowl, mix the ground flaxseed with 2 tbsp water. Stir to combine and set aside to thicken for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mash the black beans by hand until they are broken down.
- Add the flaxseed and all other burger ingredients except salt, pepper and oil to the bowl, and mix with your hands to combine. Check the taste and season with salt and pepper if needed (I found I needed to add quite a bit of salt, even with the tamari).
- Divide the mixture into 4 balls, and shape these into burger patties.
- Heat a generous amount of oil in a large frying pan on a medium heat. Cook the burgers for 4-5 minutes on each side until browned.
- Serve immediately on your favourite burger buns with vegan mayo, lettuce leaves, tomato slices and microgreens (optional). Enjoy!
SHARE THIS RECIPE!
SUBSCRIBE TO THE NEWSLETTER!
Receive the latest vegan recipes straight into your inbox! You can sign out at any time.