I don’t always love tofu but when it’s crispy I’m all in. These crispy, crunchy tofu nuggets are a breeze to prepare and perfect for ALL THE SAUCES.
- 1 block extra firm tofu pressed, 12 nuggets
- 1/3 cup + 1 tbsp panko bread crumbs
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast optional
- 1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Press tofu (see notes) and preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Combine breadcrumbs, salt, parsley, oregano, thyme, garlic, onion paprika and nutritional yeast (if using). Transfer seasoned breadcrumbs to a shallow dish. Measure out olive oil into a small bowl.
- Cut pressed tofu into 12 nuggets. Brush each nugget with olive oil on each side. I use a silicone pastry brush for this. You can also dunk in oil, but you’ll likely need more oil.
- Carefully press the oiled tofu nugget into the bread crumb mixture (they’re delicate), getting all sides, and gently shake off excess. Transfer to a baking sheet. Repeat with remaining nuggets.
- Bake for 30 minutes on the middle rack of the oven, flip, and roast for another 25 minutes or so. The baking time really depends on how much moisture is removed during pressing and your individual oven, use my times as a guide. If you press your tofu for longer than 15-20 minutes, you can shave off 5 or so minutes of cooking time.