Creamy Coconut Pumpkin Dal… the best cold weather comfort food! Made with canned pumpkin, warming spices and red lentils, served over basmati rice and warm naan. Super simple, easy to make and vegan.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 1/2 inches fresh ginger grated
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1 2 inch cinnamon stick
- 1 cup red lentils rinsed
- 1 14 oz can full fat unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup pumpkin purée
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- cilantro chopped
- lime wedges
- basmati rice and/or naan for serving
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. When shimmering, add the onion and sauté for 5-7 minutes, until softened. Add the garlic, ginger, spices and cinnamon stick. Cook for another 1-2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add the lentils, coconut milk, pumpkin purée and water. Bring to boil then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are softened.
- Remove from heat and stir in the maple syrup, salt and lime juice. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed. Serve warm with desired toppings.
Creamy Coconut Pumpkin Dal
Amount Per Serving
Calories 299 Calories from Fat 99
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 3g19%
Polyunsaturated Fat 7g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Did you try this recipe?Mention @goodoldvegan or tag #goodoldvegan!