Creamy coconut, lentil and vegetable curry🍛
This is a fab beginners curry that’s speedy to whip up on nights you’re after a low-fuss meal. It’s packed with veggies, plant-based protein, dietary fibre and more, and tastes even better as leftovers the next day.
While you can get pretty deep and complex exploring different curry flavours (fun!), this recipe will have you just strolling along the edge of your comfort zone.
It contains a couple of fun ingredients to add plenty of flavour – like grated fresh ginger and curry powder – but nothing possibly intimidating. A lovely place to start if you’re wanting to try out a curry recipe.
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 brown onion finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 cm ginger grated
- 1 1/4 tbsp curry powder
- 2 cups mixed veggies diced (e.g. carrot, courgette, broccoli)
- 1 tin (400g) pureed tomatoes
- 1 tin (400g) coconut milk
- 1 tin (400g) brown lentils
- 1 small pack tofu optional
- 1 big handful baby spinach
- 1 small lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- chili flakes optional (to kick it up a notch, shall you please)
- Add the oil to a large deep fry-pan and turn heat onto low.
- Once the fry-pan is hot, sauté onions, garlic and ginger for five minutes or until the onions are soft. Add the curry powder and veggies and sauté for another two minutes.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, coconut milk and cubed tofu (if using), and mix well. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a low and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Open tin of lentils. Drain liquid and rinse. Add to curry, along with the spinach. Mix, and then simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Add the juice of ½ lemon (reserve the other half to serve as wedges with your curry on the side) and season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix well, taste test and adjust with extra salt or lemon juice if needed - the salt and lemon juice will bring it all alive.
- Serve with rice or quinoa.