I topped this Broccoli Pesto Soup with some Crispy Gnocchi because a) who doesn’t like gnocchi and b) I need yummy toppings with my soup, always! Best way to ensure it’s a satisfying, filling meal!
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 small-medium onion 1/2 cup chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 large stalk celery or 2 smaller ones
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 cups vegetable broth + 1 extra cup if needed
- 1 one-pound bag broccoli frozen
- 1/3 cup oil-free vegan kale pesto *
- Crispy pan-fried mini gnocchi
- Fresh parsley
- Vegan cheese shreds
- Finely dice peeled onion, garlic and celery.
- Heat up vegan butter in a deep pan or dutch oven, and sauté onions and celery until fragrant, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add flour to the veggie mix, and stir for a minute, then stir in vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, whisking continuously until soup thickens.
- Add frozen broccoli but reserve about 1 cup of florets to add later.
- Simmer for 10 minutes, then blend soup until smooth. Either use an immersion blender or let the soup cool down enough to transfer to a blender.
- Add remaining broccoli florets to the blended soup, and simmer for a few more minutes or until broccoli florets are tender.
- If needed add some more water or broth to thin out the soup.
- Stir in pesto at the end, and if using vegan cheese shreds.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- In the meantime, pan fry gnocchi in a non stick pan with some vegan butter until crispy.
- Top broccoli soup with crispy gnocchi, fresh parsley, and enjoy!
*Homemade pesto made with kale, basil, almonds, lemon juice, garlic, nutritional yeast, salt. When using store bought pesto with oil, reduce to 1/4 cup.
Did you try this recipe?Mention @goodoldvegan or tag #goodoldvegan!