Chickpea soup for the vegan soul 😌 Anyone else remember those books?
This simple, unassuming soup is warming and nourishing for the body & soul. It’s comforting, easy to make and is a must this fall/winter season (or on a grey day like today)!
I adapted the recipe from my crowd fave Tofu “Chicken” Noodle Soup, and brought it back to basics with whole food ingredients.
- 1 cup carrots sliced or minced
- 1 cup celery thinly sliced
- 1 onion diced thinly
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp poultry seasoning or all purpose seasoning of choice
- 1-2 sprigs thyme
- 1-2 sprigs rosemary chopped finely
- 2-3 sage leaves finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2/3 cup basmati rice
- 5 cups vegetable broth more as needed (you can also use vegan chicken broth)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas roughly 1 can, rinsed and drained
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh parsley to garnish
- In a large pot over medium heat, sauté carrots, celery and onion with oil or a splash of veggie broth. Cook down for roughly 2 minutes to lightly soften, then add garlic, seasoning, fresh herbs and bay leaf. Cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add dry basmati rice to the pot and sauté for a few minutes to gently toast, then add vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a low simmer, cover the pot halfway and let cook for 15-20 minutes, or until carrots are tender and rice is soft.
- Add chickpeas, season with salt and pepper to taste and serve with fresh parsley to garnish if desired.
SHARE THIS RECIPE!
SUBSCRIBE TO THE NEWSLETTER!
You’ll reveive the latest vegan recipes straight into your inbox! You can sign out at any time.