Chickpea soup for the vegan soul 😌 Anyone else remember those books?
This simple, unassuming soup is warming and nourishing for the body & soul. It’s comforting, easy to make and is a must this fall/winter season (or on a grey day like today)!
I adapted the recipe from my crowd fave Tofu “Chicken” Noodle Soup, and brought it back to basics with whole food ingredients.
- 1 cup carrots sliced or minced
- 1 cup celery thinly sliced
- 1 onion diced thinly
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp poultry seasoning or all purpose seasoning of choice
- 1-2 sprigs dried thyme
- 1-2 sprigs rosemary chopped finely
- 2-3 sage leaves finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2/3 cup basmati rice
- 5 cups vegetable broth more as needed (you can also use vegan chicken broth)
- 1 1/2 cups chickpeas roughly 1 can, rinsed and drained
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh parsley to garnish
- In a large pot over medium heat, sauté carrots, celery and onion with oil or a splash of veggie broth. Cook down for roughly 2 minutes to lightly soften, then add garlic, seasoning, fresh herbs and bay leaf. Cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add dry basmati rice to the pot and sauté for a few minutes to gently toast, then add vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a low simmer, cover the pot halfway and let cook for 15-20 minutes, or until carrots are tender and rice is soft.
- Add chickpeas, season with salt and pepper to taste and serve with fresh parsley to garnish if desired.