We love fusion cuisine, especially when it’s a pasta dish! This Bucatini with Creamy Roasted Red Bell Pepper & Harissa Sauce is one of them where Italian meets Middle Eastern.
It’s rich and hearty but also an elegant dish. This pasta dish is perfect to make for a date night, some special occasions, or anytime in-between!
Roasted Red Bell Peppers (skip this if using pre-made ones)
- 3-4 red bell peppers
Roasted Red Bell Pepper & Harissa Cream Sauce
- 1/2 cup raw unsalted cashews better soaked in water for 2 hours
- 3/4 cup + 2 tbsp hot water
- 1 1/2 cups roasted red bell peppers chopped, about 3-4 freshly roasted red bell peppers
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 3 tsp dried harissa seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 pound bucatini
- 1/2-1 tbsp parsley minced , garnish
- roasted bell peppers thinly sliced, garnish, optional
- **If using jarred roasted red bell peppers, skip to Step 5
- Preheat a broiler at 525°F.
- Place red bell peppers (whole) on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Roast in the oven for 20-25 minutes. Turn every 5 minutes or so to get charred evenly.
- Take them out and transfer to a large prep bowl. Cover with a plastic wrap (crack open the edge for the heat to escape) and let it steam for about 15-20 minutes.
- Peel the skin and remove the seeds and core. It’s messy but they should come off easily. Be careful not to burn yourself! Chop them coarsely and set aside.
- In a large pot, start boiling water for cooking bucatini.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce. In a high-speed blender, combine soaked cashews, hot water, roasted bell peppers, garlic, nutritional yeast, fresh lemon juice, harissa powder, salt and black pepper. Process until smooth. Set aside.
- Start cooking bucatini in salted water for 9-11 minutes (or follow the instruction on the package.) Use a colander to drain and transfer the bucatini back in the same pot (off the heat.)
- Pour the red bell pepper sauce over the bucatini. Toss well until well coated.
- Serve with a sprinkle of minced parsley as a garnish. Top it with a small amount of thinly sliced roasted bell peppers (optional.)
Using a few strips of thinly sliced extra roasted red bell peppers as a garnish adds an extra flavor and also gives a nice presentation (optional.)