Let me tell you a little bit about the inspiration behind this recipe. I first came across this concept of “vegan fish” made out of watermelons in a vegan Facebook group and I was so intrigued because I had never heard of anything like it.
After a bit of research, I realized it was actually a thing and bloggers like @edgyveg had created variations of it in the past.⠀
So I decided to create my own, poke bowl friendly, 7 ingredient Watermelon Vegan Tuna with Spicy Mayo Sauce 🌶 All you need is a watermelon, seaweed, tamari, rice vinegar, sesame oil, vegan mayo & sriracha!⠀
I am telling you guys, this recipe makes for a super juicy, salty and melt in your mouth vegan tuna alternative! You must try it!⠀
Share this recipe!
- Green onions sliced
- Sesame seeds
- In a large airtight container, add watermelon, seaweed, tamari, white rice vinegar and sesame oil. Put on the lid and shake gently to distribute the seasonings.
- Place in the fridge for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, preheat oven to 250ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place all the cubes on the parchment paper. Reserve the sauce to use in another recipe such as an Asian sauté or a pad thai.
- Bake for 2 hours, flipping the cubes halfway through.
- After 2 hours, increase oven temperature to 350ºF and bake for 5 more minutes, until slightly charred.
- Transfer into an airtight container, close and place in the fridge until cold.
- Once cold, and right before serving, mix vegan mayo and sriracha together and add into the container with your watermelon. Toss to coat.
- Serve immediately in vegan sushi, in a vegan poké bowl or even as a garnish on an avocado toast.