Absolutely incredible rice bowl idea that combines so of our favorite things ever!
Homemade falafels, turmeric garlic rice, marinated onions, and a delicious tahini sauce.
This is perfect for meal prepping as you can make ahead and it will last all week. And we’re even dishing out how you can still make something similar with some shortcuts if you don’t want to make it all from scratch (but you’ll miss out on some flavors if we’re being honest).
Allergens: Top 8 Allergen Free (yes, all four parts).
This one has a lot of moving parts, so ingredient list and recipes are linked in our bio.
For The Falafels
For the Marinate Onions
For the Tahini Dressing
For the Garlic Turmeric Rice
- 1 recipe garlic turmeric rice
- cherry tomatoes halved
- green onions sliced
For the Falafels and Garlic Turmeric Rice
- Soak dried chickpeas overnight.
- Once soaked and ready to proceed, start by making the garlic turmeric rice.
- Drain chickpeas from water and lay them out on a towel. Thoroughly pat them dry. Get as much moisture out as possible.
- Add chickpeas to a food processor with the remaining ingredients.
- Pulse, scrapping down the sides often, until all the ingredients are chopped up and a thick batter is left.
- Roll into 1" balls (you can use a cookie scoop to ensure even size).
For Deep Fried Falafels (Traditional)
- Once all the balls are made, heat oil in a deep fryer or heavy bottomed pot and bring the temperature up to 350 degrees F.
- Add the baking soda to the oil.
- Drop falafels into the oil and cook for 2 1/2-5 minutes, moving around to ensure golden brown on all sides.
- Remove from the oil and lay on a towel lined plate to remove excess oil. Repeat with remaining balls.
Other Falafel Methods
- To see how to make falafels in a skillet, air fryer or oven (oil free methods), read more about making vegan falafels.
For the Marinated Onions
- Place sliced onion in a bowl and cover with hot water. Soak for 10 minutes.
- Drain onions and dry with a towel.
- Add red wine vinegar and let sit for 10 minutes. Drain anything more than a teaspoon of the vinegar from the bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients together and cover. Place in fridge until ready to serve (at least 30 minutes)
For the Tahini Dressing
- Add all the ingredients to a bowl and stir until very well combined.
- If needed, add water 1 tsp at a time until desired consistency.
Compiling the Bowls
- Once everything is ready, layer the rice in the bottom of the bowl. Then add some of the falafels and marinated onions. Top with cilantro, green onions and sliced tomatoes. Drizzle with tahini dressing.