Start the week with a bowl of this Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup.💛🌱
It’s so creamy, velvety and luxurious, with lots of mushroom chunks! Plus, it’s a vegan, 1-pot recipe, and so easy to make.
Growing up, my favourite lunch was Campbells Mushroom Soup (yeah, the canned one), and I used to make my mum scoop all the mushroom chunks into my bowl! I thought it was bliss. So, I’ve made sure that this homemade vegan version is mushroom loaded!!
It’s exactly what you’d hope for in a creamy mushroom soup recipe (and 1000x better than the canned kind! haha). We absolutely love it!
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 sweet onion
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 1/2 lb cremini mushrooms sliced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 6 sprigs dried thyme tied with twine
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp miso paste white or red
- In a small bowl and the cashews and pour in boiling water to soak. Set aside.
- In a large pot, add the olive oil, onion and garlic and bring to medium-high heat. Cook, stirring often until the onions have softened, about 7 minutes).
- Add the mushrooms and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, then sprinkle in the flour and mix together. Cook for 2 minutes, then pour in 1/2 cup of the vegetable broth and bring to a low simmer. Toss in the thyme, bay leaves, salt and pepper. Simmer the soup for 5 minutes, then pour in the remaining broth. Cover and let the soup simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the cashew cream: strain the cashews and add to a high speed blender with the miso and 3/4 cup of fresh water. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Turn the heat to low and pour the cashew cream into the soup. Stir everything to combine. Scoop out the thyme and bay leaf and serve.
Recipe can also be frozen for up to 2 months. Let thaw before warming.