Crispy Cauliflower Steaks with Avocado Pea Pesto Pasta!
- kitchen tongs
- non-stick skillet
- baking sheet
- Pesto: blend on high: garlic, avocado, fresh lemon juice, pinenuts, basil leaves, defrosted green peas, vegan parmesan, water, salt and black pepper.
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Remove outer leaves from 1 large cauliflower. Trim stem, leaving cauliflower intact.
- Slice cauliflower head through middle.
- Slice 3/4 -inch steaks through one half. Repeat for other side. You should get 3 to 4 steaks.
- Rub both sides and tops of steaks with generous sprinkle of salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and smoked paprika. Set aside.
- In medium bowl: mix 3/4 cups flour, 1 tbsp cornstarch, 1 tsp smoked paprika, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp onion powder, 1/2 teaspoon fine grind black pepper, 3/4 tsp salt (or to taste). Transfer to a small rimmed baking sheet/dish.
- Add non-dairy milk to small rimmed dish.
- Dip both sides cauliflower steaks into milk. Use spoon to get into cracks and tops.
- Dip into flour mixture until fully coated on both sides, using a spoon to place flour into cracks. Shake to remove excess.
- Pan-sear the cauliflower steaks. Heat oil (about 1/4-inch high) in non-stick skillet and cook 3 minutes each side. Use tongs to sear tops.
- Place steaks onto a large non-stick baking sheet (no parchment paper). Transfer the steaks to the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and flip. Brush both sides of steaks with some of the remaining milk as needed, until no white floured parts remain.
- Roast for about 10 to 15 minutes more, until cauliflower is fork tender. (Brush with more milk as needed.)
- Broil steaks for 2 to 3 minutes (if desired) until very browned and crispy.