Tomato cream sauce is one of our favorites to make. This Linguine with Mushroom Tomato Cream Sauce is made with mushrooms to complement the creaminess! It’s vegan as always and can be made gluten-free if you use gluten-free pasta.
- In a large pot, start boiling water for cooking linguine.
- Meanwhile, start making tomato cream sauce by preparing cashew cream first. In a high-speed blender, combine soaked cashews, water,nutritional yeast, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Blend for 1-2 minutes until creamy and smooth. Set aside.
- Heat up a frying pan at medium high heat. Pour extra virgin olive oil and add garlic. Cook for 1-2 minute until aromatic and golden brown. Add mushrooms and cook for 3-4 minutes until caramelized. Adjust the heat if it’s too hot. Season with salt and add dried thyme. Cook for another minute or so.
- Add tomato purée. Reduce the heat to medium low. Cook for 5 minutes to reduce down. Add sugar to control the acidity (optional.)
- Meanwhile, start cooking linguine in salted water for 7 minutes (or follow the instruction on the package.)
- 2 minutes before the linguine is done, add the cream mixture to the sauce. When it starts to thicken add a small amount pasta cooking water.
- Add linguine to the sauce. Turn off the heat and give a quick toss.
- Serve with vegan parmesan style cheese (optional.)