I am here to let you know this pasta sauce will become your newest obsession and you may want to have it with every meal you can going forward. I quickly made up this sauce after a hard workout (wanting something FAST) and I’ve now eaten a record amount of pasta in one sitting. It comes together in less than 20 minutes.
This is by far the creamiest and smooth vegan pasta sauce I have made to date. It is full of flavor from lemon juice, zest, sautéed garlic, and lots of pepper for a kick.
- 1 cup cashews soaked in boiling water
- 1 lemon juiced and zested
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp vegan butter or olive oil
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp tumeric for color
- 3 cups reserved pasta water begin with 1 1/2 cups
- 8-10 oz pasta of choice
- Boil enough water to cover cashews, pour on top of cashews and allow to soak for 15 minutes.
- While cashews are soaking get your pasta water boiling/cooking. Roughly chop garlic, heat butter in a skillet on medium low heat and sauté the garlic for ~5 minutes until fragrant and lightly cooked.
- Transfer garlic butter mixture to a blender with juice of lemon + zest, pepper, salt, turmeric, and drained cashews.
- Right before pasta is done reserve about 3 cups of pasta water, set aside. Drain pasta, transfer back to pot and toss in about 1 T olive oil to avoid them sticking together.
- Add 1 1/2 cup of reserved pasta water to the blender. Blend on high speed until a super smooth consistency. Give it a taste adjust flavor to your liking. Give it another blend just to make sure it’s extra smooth 🙂 pour over pasta tossing to combine. Stir frequently on medium heat until the sauce begins to thicken. Adding more pasta water to thin if needed as sauce continues to thicken.
SHARE THIS RECIPE!
SUBSCRIBE TO THE NEWSLETTER!
Receive the latest vegan recipes straight into your inbox! You can sign out at any time.